Saturday, January 9, 2016

A Few Museums in Kansas City

When I first googled "things to do in Kansas City," I was shocked by how many things popped up. The play-off game was in Houston today, so a Chief's game was out of the question (but they did win and the whole town is excited which should make for good night life!) So here's a few museums I've visited so far. There's still plenty more on my list, with the WWI Museum being at the top.

1. Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art I'm a sucker for a good art museum. I spent about 2.5 hours here today and easily could have stayed longer. I want to go back. The museum is free, has 3 levels of artwork, plus an additional modern building, meaning there are 5 main "levels" of art, plus an outdoor sculpture area. There are several countries and several hundreds of years represented in the museum. My fav's were Egyptian, Roman, Asian and Sculptures. If only you could tell how big the statue below was.


I made a VERY brief trip outside. Loved "The Thinker" (in the middle) and the unique statues right outside the entrance. I really wished I could have walked around the 22 acre sculpture park. Unfortunately, it was freezing and VERY windy, so about 5 minutes was all I spent outside.


2. American Jazz Museum This was fun because it was filled with hands-on stuff to do. Much more interactive than your average museum. I got to listen to old Jazz music, see albums, try my hand at harmonizing and see clips of old black and white shows and movies. I loved how much sound there was. There is still a Jazz Club: The Blue Room, located within the museum that I'm sure would be a blast to enjoy! Looked like there's live entertainment every weekend. If there weren't so many things on the agenda, I would've spent time down there tonight. Although this was interesting and worth the time, it was rather small. You could easily walk through the entire place in 30-60 minutes. Admission was $10 for one, $15 for both this and the next.



3. Negro Leauges Baseball Museum This was in the same building as the Jazz Museum. I loved the set-up of this museum. There was a baseball field in the middle that you could actually walk on (or slide into home base). Memorabilia, actual stadium seats, educational videos and a mock locker room with actual jerseys from different teams lined the perimeter of the field. There were also several - and I mean SEVERAL signed baseballs, which was awesome to see! There was even one in it's own case, signed by Jackie Robinson (and a few others). I was pretty excited about that. You can again walk through this in about n30-45 minutes. Admission is $10 by itself, $15 for both this and the Jazz museum.


No comments: