Thursday, January 7, 2016

Thankful Thursday: Flexibility


It's funny how gratitude works. Last night I was driving home from the gym and it just hit me. I'm grateful for flexibility. Like really grateful! About 4 years ago, I started traveling for work. I learned to work quickly whenever I had time and I learned to be a little flexible with my time. Now, my personal life is my #1 priority. God first. Family second. Friends next. Long story, but once I left LA (about a year and a half ago), I decided that I would never let a job become more important than the people who are most important in my life. That isn't always easy to accomplish, but I was determined. And when I get determined, there is NO changing my mind. I was lucky enough to have a good friend reach out to me and recommend me for a job she thought I was a perfect fit for. I work from home the majority of the time and I truly love my job. I love the people I work with - my co-workers and my clients. Does that mean it's perfect? Absolutely not. Let's be honest - nothing is. But all in all, I'm grateful for my situation, my company, my flexibility.

I wanted flexibility. I needed flexibility. I got addicted to traveling. It became necessary for me to be able to take off and go anywhere, anytime (that might be a slight exaggeration, but you get the point). I don't say this because I want to shirk my responsibilities. Because I had started traveling so much for work, I learned how to work remotely. I traveled so much that it felt like I was always working remotely. I got used to it and I learned to love it. Seeing new places. Trying new restaurants. Reaching that Gold status ;). It started to become part of who I am. And I love it. I love that I can work from my house, at my parents' house, in a hotel, at Starbuck's. There are many ways in which I know I'm not the most flexible person, but this is not one of them. Seriously. Want to go on a trip tomorrow? Let's make it happen. I feel like I'm being set free when I travel. I love new experiences. I love learning about new places. Even though the majority of my travel has currently taken me around the U.S., I'm loving it. The more I think about it, even in this very moment as I'm writing this, the more I love it. So today, I'm thankful for flexibility.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's almost a virtue !!! Flexiblity that is !!

Amanda said...

Why thank you! I've never thought of it in that way, but I do love it! I think it enriches my life.