Friday, January 29, 2016

FAQ's: How to Meal Prep Without Prepping

I must be crazy, right? Meal prepping without prepping? Dead serious. I paid for it. I did a little research on getting freshly made meals delivered. Sounds pretentious, right? I thought so too at first. But, after having a week of rarely cooking, I no longer care how it sounds because it is SO CONVENIENT. I ordered my meals online: Freshly Website. (Super easy - they have pictures)

They came:


I ate.


The details:
Is it actually a meal?: Yes! I figured if I was going to pay someone to deliver it, I wanted a full meal - I didn't want to have to cook. I didn't want any weird diet meals and I didn't want only a protein. Real, fresh meal.

Is this part of a diet?: No. At least not that I've seen, but they are healthy meals. All natural ingredients (you can actually understand everything on the label), no added sugar and all gluten free which makes it easy for me. I don't have to look at the ingredients of each individual meal - I can just choose whatever looks good.

Are they frozen?: No. They're not supposed to be. They are however shipped with a bunch of ice packs, so although they aren't totally frozen, they can be a little frozen when you get them. I put about 4 meals in the fridge and 2 in the freezer to make sure they'll still be good by the time I get around to eating them.

How much do they cost: It varies based on how many you order. I did research ahead of time and it seemed to be the best deal I could find. They range from about $10-$12 per meal, but if you click on this link, you'll get a few free meals. I think that will bring the cost per meal down to about $8 or less - not bad to try it out. They bill on a weekly basis.

How many meals do you get?: You have the option of ordering 6, 9, 12 or 21 meals. They're delivered once a week unless you order 21 meals.. then they're delivered twice a week. I'm doing 6 meals for $69, but haven't paid the full price yet. I figured this would be good for 1 meal per day, I would meal prep for one meal (crock-pot, baby!) and breakfast is easy.

How do they taste?: So far, I've liked all the main dishes. The sides aren't all my favorite - good, but not always my favorite. When that's the case, I just mix the sides in with the main dish. The sauces are always great and for not having to do any cooking myself, I really shouldn't complain. Here are my top 3 meals so far: Pecan Pesto Chicken, Seared Pork Chop with Mustard Sauce, and Chicken Livorno.

Are they filling?: Yes, absolutely! I actually try to make sure I haven't eaten too much before I have one of these meals or I'll feel way too stuffed by the time I finish it.

Is that the only thing you ate?: No, as I said above, I also did do a little bit of meal prep. I found a recipe that required about 5 minutes or less of prep. I tossed the ingredients into a crock-pot and put it into Tupperware 8 hours later. Easy peasy. I also went out to eat a few times, which is why I figured I would only do 6 meals.

Will you keep ordering?: Yes, absolutely! As I mentioned at the beginning - it's SO CONVENIENT! The meals are filling, healthy, affordable and make life much easier for me. Meal prep without the prep? It's a no-brainer.

Ask away if you have more questions!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds kind of cool, I spend sooooooo much time in the kitchen, drives me batty

Amanda said...

Seriously! With the amount of money I was spending on eating out, I figured I should give it a shot. If you try it, let me know. I'd love to know what you think.