Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Who Decided Cardio Meant Running!?!

Don't get me wrong, if you like running, more power to you! But I don't. I hate running. I tell people I hate cardio, but that's not actually true. I hate the kind of "cardio" that has started becoming the norm. Running for 45 minutes? Count me out. Running for 20 minutes - I might do it on occasion. But when I run, I prefer to sprint because if I have to run, I want to get it over with as soon as possible. Stair stepper, bike, elliptical.... it's all the same. And I don't like it. That's the stuff that makes me anti-cardio.


So really, who said that cardio has to be any of these things? Although I do think cardio is overrated, I know it's important. BUT, the only way I do cardio is if I like it. My faves have become volleyball, zumba, football.. any sport really. I may not be able to play outdoors right now, but there are always people playing pick-up games and there are great Zumba classes at the Vasa Gym up on University. I got into zumba because I love dancing.

My strong opinion is that you should find things you love that can help you get fit. Play a sport, take a class, go for a swim, snowboard in the winter, wakeboard in the summer, run if you must. Whatever it is you enjoy, cardio that way.


No comments: