Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Pics & Links to the Churchy Stuff in Missouri

I got to see lots of churchy, history stuff. The nerdy side of me has been looking forward to this for quite sometime, even though I'm horrible at history. Honestly, I just tried to take it all in as I was there. It's impossible to share everything I learned, so instead, here's a few "clips." If you want more info, you can see maps, a big list of historic sites and an article about the history in Missouri.


I already gave the spiel the other day about my stance on church history and my testimony of the gospel. If you missed out, you can read it here. I love going to the temple whenever I travel. Not only is the temple a precious place to me, but it's a nice reminder that the gospel is the same everywhere. Also, it helps keep me grounded. 

1. Independence, MO LDS Visitor's Center (the history stuff is on the lower level)

When the saints first moved to Independence, MO, there wasn't enough time to build homes for everyone before Winter started. That meant that 10 families might be sleeping in a home like this (It was about twice the size of what you can see in the picture).

An original Book of Mormon - hot off the printing press!
Now the Book of Mormon has been translated into hundreds of languages and the gospel has spread throughout the world.

2. Liberty Jail (fairly brief tour, but a POWERFUL must-see)

The Original Key to Liberty Jail
Although the jail itself is a replica, the stone floor (look at the bottom of the rope) is the original floor of the jail. Same floor. The jail is in the exact same location. 
These walls were 4 feet thick in all directions. 5 men, including Joseph Smith were imprisoned here for 4 months during a hard winter in Missouri. Though their circumstances were horrible, they were far more concerned about the welfare of the other saints. 

No comments: